Saturday, September 4, 2010

Homme Obscène de Fred

I started this blog with a rather verbose diatribe in defense of an extremely obscure and long forgotten would-be epic. My friends are often treated to a very similar rant in defense of “Freddy Got Fingered”. That’s right, I love it and you can go fuck yourself. Professing my adoration for this film has caused inestimable damage to my credibility as a Movie Snob(see Royal Order Of;) but I quite honestly never cared. And I don’t mean that I didn’t care in the same way that “people” who defend their enjoyment of abortions like “Epic Movie”, “White Chicks” or “Kung Pow” don’t care. My opinion of Freddy Got Fingered is considered something of an aberration. I imagine they must think “well, the guy has impeccable taste across the board… and then this… he was just never the same after that kick from the mule”.

But apparently I didn't brain my damage! Tom Green announced a ways back that he would be releasing a “director’s cut” of the film some time in 2011. He says the impetus came from soaring DVD sales that continue to this day, now well over 1 million. A “cult following” in the parlance of our times. I’m so thrilled to hear this. Up until now, the only major sympathizer I’ve ever stumbled across is The Onion’s Nathan Rabin, who appreciated it as the same bizarre, dada-absurdist experiment I found it to be. If Buñuel and Dali had followed up “Un Chien Andalou” with this and called it “Homme Obscène de Fred” it would today be regarded as a masterpiece. However, I am also aware of a tragic downside to Freddy’s gradual upturn in popularity…

Flat heads who cum all over bullshit like “Bio-Dome” will confuse this for some sort of victory on their part. Some films aren’t really films at all, as is the case with Freddy. They’re the result of a studio essentially issuing a grant for a social experiment. And some are the worst sort of sell-out, cash-in affronts to God and Man like “Eight Crazy Nights” (and, yes, most of the output of Sandler Inc.). Please remember that some movies are just bad, and some, however hipsterish this may be of me to say; are misunderstood.


1 comment: